Did you know approximately 48% of organizations use natural language processing (NLP), data and machine learning (ML) to analyze big data effectively? In addition, the combination of artificial intelligence (AI) and big data can automate nearly 80% of your organization’s physical work and 70% of your data processing tasks.
Using AI and NLP for automated resolution of incidents can improve your workplace operations and marketing efforts, reducing costs and increasing productivity.
Most people think about chatbots or self-driving cars when it comes to AI. However, there’s also potential to apply this technology in business management. NLP-based solutions can help supply business automation to predict issues and streamline resolutions.
With different applications available today, one that’s worth exploring is task resolution automation (TRA).
A task resolution automation system uses natural language processing to understand and resolve tasks. This is done by analyzing data from emails, documents or other information sources.
Let’s explore what TRA does, how it works and why organizations must consider using this type of system as part of their daily operations.
What Is a Task Resolution Automation System?
A task resolution automation system is a software application that helps users with task management. The system automatically resolves tasks by supplying a recommended solution based on the user’s preferences and the task’s context.
The system may also implement the recommended solution by taking action on behalf of the user. For example, if the recommended solution is to send an email, the system will compose and send the email.
Task resolution automation systems reduce the time and effort needed to manage tasks. They can also improve task management by providing recommendations the user may not have considered.
The system can read and interpret data from emails, documents or other information sources to find and execute specific actions. These systems commonly manage customer service inquiries or help desk tickets.
How Does a Task Resolution Automation System Work?
A task resolution automation system uses NLP to understand and resolve tasks by analyzing data from emails, documents or other information sources. During this process, the computer program reads all data it has access to before extracting relevant information about what you need to do.
For example, you receive an email from your customer with instructions about how that customer wants an order fulfilled. The system then identifies those instructions and other details, such as payment methods and delivery dates. Once the system has all the relevant information, it will execute the necessary actions.
5 Key Tasks Automated with AI and NLP
Here are 5 key tasks that can use the power of natural language processing for automated resolution of tasks.
- Sentiment Analysis. Task resolution automation systems can analyze the sentiment of emails or customer service inquiries to identify your customer’s emotional state. You can use this information to provide better customer service.
- Topic Classification. Topic classification involves taking a set of documents and figuring out what topics are contained within each document. This can be time-consuming when done manually. But AI and NLP can quickly and accurately classify documents into predefined issues. This can help you organize extensive collections of documents or find documents holding specific information. In addition, topic classification can generate targeted recommendations for readers based on their interests.
- Action Identification. Action identification finds what specific actions must be taken to achieve a desired goal. This can be an arduous task for humans. That’s because it requires an understanding of the goal and an awareness of available resources and constraints. However, it’s a task that can be easily automated using AI and NLP. By simply providing a goal and some basic information about the available resources, AI can quickly generate a list of potential actions to take. This can save humans a considerable amount of time and effort. And it can also help ensure the best possible course of action is taken. As AI and NLP become more advanced, even more tasks can be automated in this way, making life easier for everyone.
- Task Delegation. Task delegation is the process of assigning tasks to other people or systems. Task resolution automation systems can use NLP to analyze emails or documents, then show what tasks to delegate. This is important because it can help free up time for humans to focus on more critical tasks. In addition, automated task delegation can help ensure duties are assigned to the proper people or systems, improving task completion rates. And automated customer service systems can help reduce the number of customer service inquiries by providing recommendations the user may not have considered.
- Customer Service. Customer service is one of the most critical applications of task resolution automation. Using NLP, your customer service systems can understand customer inquiries and provide exact responses. In addition, these systems can keep track of customer interactions and find patterns that may indicate a problem. This information can then be used to improve the overall customer experience.
Why Must Organizations Consider Task Resolution Automation?
A task resolution automation system offers many benefits for your organization, such as the following:
1. Increased Efficiency
By definition, efficiency is the ratio of the output of a system to the system’s input. In other words, it’s a measure of how well a system converts inputs into outputs. A task resolution system can increase efficiency by providing a clear and concise way to organize and track tasks.
This allows people to complete tasks in a more prompt and efficient manner. Also, it will enable your employees to focus on more complex tasks that require their attention.
2. Reduced Costs
In addition to increased efficiency, task resolution automation systems can help your organization save money. Automating simple tasks can help you avoid the cost of hiring added staff to manage those tasks.
3. Improved Customer Service
Task resolution automation systems can also improve customer service by helping your organization quickly resolve customer inquiries. In some cases, automated systems can provide your customers with answers to their questions, without human interaction.
4. Better Data Accuracy
Another benefit of task resolution automation systems is they can help improve your data accuracy. By automating your tasks that require data entry, you can avoid errors when humans are overseeing those tasks.
5. Avoid Duplication
Duplication occurs when two employees work on the same task without knowing it. This can happen when duties are informally assigned, such as through email or word-of-mouth.
Duplication can also occur when multiple employees have access to the same system. Yet, each employee is unaware of what the others are doing. A task resolution automation system can help avoid duplication by providing a centralized repository for all tasks. All your employees can access this system to see what tasks have been assigned and which ones are still open.
In addition, the system can send notifications to your employees when a task is assigned to them. This cuts the need for duplicate assignments. By avoiding duplication, a task resolution automation system can help improve efficiency and productivity in your workplace.
What Are the Challenges of Implementing a Task Resolution Automation System?
1. Data Availability
One challenge your organization can face is data availability. To automate tasks, the system must have access to data. This data may be in emails, documents or other information sources.
If this data is not readily available, your organization may need to gather time and resources. In some cases, you may need to buy or license data from third-party providers.
2. Data Accuracy
Another challenge your organization may face is data accuracy. The system will only be as accurate as the data inputted. If the data is inaccurate, the system may make errors when completing tasks. You must ensure your information is correct and up to date.
Another challenge your organization may face is integration. The system must be integrated with your other business systems, such as email and customer relationship management (CRM).
This integration can be complex and time-consuming. You can consider using a task resolution automation system that offers pre-built integrations to simplify the process.
A challenge of implementing a task resolution automation system is training. It’s crucial to make sure everyone using the system understands how it works and knows how to correctly input data. This can be an issue if the system is new or complex. But it’s vital to your system’s success.
Finally, it’s essential to regularly check your system. Be sure it’s properly working and your people are correctly using it. This can be time-consuming. But it’s necessary your system is effectively running.
AI and NLP for robotic process and cognitive automation technologies are fundamentally reshaping the way organizations do business. Research shows the most advanced automation programs focus on productivity and reduced cycle time, rather than full-time employment savings.
Automated tasks using AI and NLP technologies are performed faster and more accurately than those done by humans, while reducing errors. In addition, they can be completed with less cost and effort, making them ideal for organizations to improve their efficiency and bottom line. They also deliver a better customer and user experience, while meeting compliance and regulatory requirements.
While there are still some challenges to overcome, such as developing reliable datasets and the need for more training on AI technologies, the potential benefits of using AI and NLP for the automated resolution of tasks are clear. As organizations adopt these technologies, they will only become more commonplace and essential to the way everyone works.
A trusted intelligence automation partner like System Soft Technologies offers workload optimized solutions, which can quickly help your organization and at a more competitive price than other players. System Soft’s goal is to open opportunities in functional areas, where automation can drastically improve your process execution and cost models for your organization.
Ready to learn how your organization can get started? Schedule a complimentary Intelligent Automation workshop.
About the Author: Hariharan Viswanath
Hari is a Senior Architect in the Intelligent Automation practice at System Soft Technologies. He helps organizations overcome technological hurdles, strategize and roll out an outstanding automation center of excellence through his expertise in software analysis and design and in-depth knowledge of process improvement and automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning and data engineering. He helps develop scalable and reusable automation solutions using his hands-on approach combined with automation tools like Blue Prism, UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Automation Edge, Rainbird and Python.